Monday, January 16, 2012

Juice?

We got rid of our cable. Since we've been married, we've always had cable. Was it a hard decision to make? Yes. Is it now very freeing? Yes, yes, yes. Are we saving $100/month? YES! We still get Hulu and Netflix thru a Roku box connected to our tv, so we can still watch TV, but it's more intentional and less mindless - usually. I think we're on our 10th documentary so far! One of the most recent was "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead". It's so interesting and inspiring. We are not looking to lose weight, but who doesn't need more fruits and veggies in their system? So, with all that money we're saving on cable, we bought a juicer. Ha. Tyler has gone a little nuts with it and juices crazy things together about twice a day. I think the one he made this morning with beets and radishes made him a little nauseous, so maybe he's learned his lesson. My fav so far is 2 apples, handful of baby carrots, bunch of kale, tad bit of lemon. YUM. The kids like plain apple or orange and if they're not looking, I can sneak in some carrots. Apples are super sweet and give off lots of juice, so you can mix lots of bland things like kale or spinach without it tasting nasty, but boosting up your daily green intake. One question has been "What about the fiber?". Well, I'm not saying drink freshly made juice forever and cut out your fiber completely. But, I think that the huge benefit you're getting from all the vitamins of raw fruits and vegetable outweighs the fiber you would get/need...say, for just one meal or an addition to a meal? I also found this answer online:

"Taking the fiber out makes sense because you are simply saving your digestive tract some work and you some energy. What our digestive tract does to whole foods is change them to a liquid; if we start with a liquid, we are helping it out."

Moreover, there are recipes that call for all that leftover pulp you collect, like THIS. Sounds good, huh??!!


No comments: