Porter had a top tooth that really wasn't ready to come out, but he works on those things constantly until he can pull it and then he does. He's not one to fear the pulling and let it hang by a thread for weeks. So, I wrote TOOTH FAIRY on my wall calendar really big, I set out the money, and then, I went to sleep and never thought about it again. Until...Piper woke up this morning came down stairs and declared "I checked on Porter's tooth and the tooth-fairy (whom we lovingly call Tia) didn't leave him anything". Luckily, Porter had come to our bed about 4:30 this morning and luckily, I'm a great actress. Inside I was freaking out, but outwardly, I was calm and casually said "Well, the tooth fairy may just be running late - there are lots of teeth to be picked up out there". Then, I grabbed the money and hurried upstairs and left a note saying "So sorry, I was running late. You worked really hard for that tooth! Love, Tia". Piper never noticed where I went and Porter was still snoozing downstairs. It all worked out.
Can we continue the magic of the tooth fairy until all teeth are gone? Doubtful. If I forget many more times, it may all be ruined. My kids don't believe in the Easter Bunny, Santa is sketchy, but for some reason, the tooth fairy is never questioned. I always have an inner struggle with all these imaginary characters knowing eventually, they'll find out we were lying to them all those years. Or, were we? Are we just encouraging imagination and fun? And will they understand Jesus really is real even though all the other things are not? I pray, yes. For now, Tia, the tiny sparkly tooth fairy will continue to visit in the form of a tired, pajama wearing Mama.
3 comments:
We've forgotten several times and I thought I'd always played it off really well. Sometimes even hiding the money on me and then "finding" it had fallen between the bed and the nightstand or somewhere hard to see like that. ;) We've never told Jake there wasn't a toothfairy but a few teeth ago he said, "So are we going to continue this game or do you just want to give me the money now?" hahahah!
Love it!
Post a Comment