Tuesday, February 26, 2008

No more pacifier!


As I wrote in the journal I keep for the kids..."It's a miracle I didn't even pray for!" Yesterday afternoon, Porter misplaced the last pacifier we had (they've all managed to be left one place or another and Opie tagged one as his chew toy). Almost since birth, Porter has comforted himself with a pacifier (or "papi" as he calls it, and most recently "fafi"...who knows where that came from??). He especially "needs" it at night time and naps to drift off to sleep...or so I THOUGHT! Well, when we literally could not find the papi/fafi anywhere yesterday, I told him we lost his last one. I secretly called my mom who was coming over for dinner and asked her to pick up another at the store on the way here, but to be quiet about it and we would see how long he could go without. Well, to my amazement, all evening Porter was content with "We lost it" when he asked for it. The clincher was bedtime...he kind of whined a bit and asked for it a few times, but when I reminded him it was lost and he was a big boy who could sleep without it, he went to sleep and slept ALL night without waking! I was a little worried when Piper kept saying " But I still have my fingers" (which she sucks as her comfort and is another issue for another day), but Porter sailed through the night with flying colors! He's been great all day today including a nap and another bedtime. I truly am in awe! Why didn't I try this sooner. Oh, me of little faith! Yay, Porter, my big boy!

No comments: