I've never seen a full episode of any of the teen mom MTV shows. But, every week, I volunteer at a program for teen moms at an Austin high school. Today I was reminded that because of all those shows where chaos reigns in the homes and lives of those teen moms that even the phrase "teen mom" now has a negative stigma attached to it and the teens I am with each week would rather just be a "mom". They are teens, yes. They are also in high school and extra curricular activities of all sorts. They are beautiful and smart and speak their mind. And they have children and/or are pregnant. And though I go each week supposedly to help and encourage them. They help me so much more. I see the world differently through their eyes; I see God's great grace and mercy upon my life and theirs; and I see my circumstances, that I all too often complain about, are nothing at all to complain about.
One of the moms in the group is currently salutatorian of her class and wants to be a lawyer. I believe she will be one. And I believe she will all the while, somehow, figure out how to continue to be a loving mom to her daughter. What I pray for all of them, though, is that they will not struggle in their own strength, but lean on Jesus. That's ultimately why we are there with them each week - to show the love of Christ and that He compels us.
No comments:
Post a Comment