Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Baby Foodie

It may just be me, but I tend to add a y/ie to most words when talking to my baby. For example:

Do you have a poopy diapy?
Let's take a bathy.
I'm gonna tickle your feetsies.
Wanna eat some foodie?

I realize this could result in a speech impediment for him, but I'll take my chances.

Anyway...we started introducing solid foods to Payson last weekend (6 months old!). The first two days were great, then he kind of lost interest. This was never the case with Porter and Piper. They never slowed down once they started, so I wasn't sure what to do! I make my own baby food, so I had to experiment with flavors and textures, but I think we've made some progress in the last two days. It's really not a big deal to make the food, it's WAY cheaper and to me (I'm not judging people who buy jarred baby food, I swear!!), I feel better about knowing where his food is coming from. It's a weird deal to go from 6 months of strictly breast milk to putting something different in his system, so I have more peace about it all if I make it. And by "make" I really just mean "mash". I'm even too lazy to put it in a food processor after the first few times.

These are what we've tried in order:

avocado
sweet potatoes
rice cereal (yes, I made homemade rice cereal and he hated it)
banana
*coconut oil

Most people start with rice cereal and that's what my pediatrician told me to start with too, but my mommy (and nutritionist) intuition told me differently. Avocado is kind of the perfect food and rice really isn't. But, I tried it midway thru anyway and he didn't even like it. I think he's like his mama - sensitive to food texture. I also discovered the goodness of coconut oil and have been mixing that into his food. It adds good fats and a yummy flavor. So, his favorite concoction thus far is a mix of banana, sweet potato, and coconut oil. Today we will try sweet peas and keep our fingers crossed!

Resources:


No comments: