Flights are expensive; flights for FOUR are very expensive; flights do not fly directly into San Angelo, TX (where we needed to be for the Walts/Gilbert wedding that our kids were in). SO...we DROVE! We are crazy people, yes. Armed with dvd's and lots of snacks, here's our trip in a nutshell...
Thursday:
We left Overland Park around 8:30am and drove straight thru to Lubbock, TX (a 10 hour drive that was elongated to only 11 hours with a few pee stops and Cracker Barrel in OK City for lunch). Kids were actually very good despite that Piper never naps in cars and Porter has to be contained when he's usually moving at all times. At the 8 hours mark, he got a bit whiny and restless, but then again, so did I! We were greeted in Lubbock by Tyler's aunt, uncle, cousins, and even a special visit from Santa! 

Friday:
We visited Tyler's 93 year old grandma before leaving Lubbock. She hadn't seen the kids before and she was so happy to finally see her "babies":) After some Tex-Mex lunch, we headed to San Angelo (4 hours) for the wedding rehearsal. I was informed that the kids were not just walking down the aisle, but Joseph wanted them to be ON stage with everyone the entire time. I was sweating, praying for Jesus to help us all, and the kids did awesome in rehearsal and were so excited about their "job". Rehearsal dinner next, then back to the hotel for a hard time getting Porter to fall asleep despite his tiredness. I'm sure our hotel neighbors were loving us at 11pm with a screaming child. 

Saturday: Up early...boys all went to breakfast and girls to a bridesmaid brunch. Porter was GRUMPY, but it all panned out fine once eggs and pancakes were in the belly. Just a few minutes to rest before everyone gets dressed in wedding gear. NO NAPS this day, let me remind you. Pictures were first--good idea! Kids...AWESOME! Smiled in all pictures, stood still and followed directions. I could not have asked for better. However...minutes before the wedding, we had full melt down mode...Porter throwing a fit in the hall and Piper asleep on me with fingers in her mouth. BUT...when Nicole walked out, they remembered their very important job, I left them with the wedding party to go sit down, and they proceeded to be model flower girl and ring bearer...from walking down the aisle with cousin Natalie (whom they loved!), to standing on stage "mostly" still and very quiet, to dancing back down the aisle during the recessional. The wedding was so wonderful and I'm so happy for Joseph and Nicole! Porter did fall asleep as soon as he was in his car seat on the way to the reception, but one nervous mommy turned quickly into one very proud mommy!!!! We're thinking about hiring them out as professional ring bearer and flower girl:) 

At the reception, I did start a little fire at our table when my camera strap sat on a candle and burned in two pieces, I flung wax and burned rubber onto my hand trying to put it out, and Tyler finally put the fire out on the tablecloth, ruining a nice white table topper:) Oops!!!
Sunday:
After a goodbye breakfast with the fam, we headed to Dallas (5 hours). We had a great visit with Papa, Gigi, and aunt Teen; a yummy dinner; laughs and games; and lots of Christmas presents!!! The kids CRASHED that night and slept all the way thru! 

Monday:
Heading home (8 hours)!!!! This was the easiest leg of the trip!!! The kids were occupied with their new Leapsters! Thank you, Papa, Gigi, and Teen! I've never had these kids behave that well on that long of a ride. With just one major stop in Wichita for lunch and Starbucks, we made it home by 5!
We all had a great night's sleep and today I feel like a stronger person for driving across 3 states, 26 hours total, toddlers in tow! I also feel like a plumper person because we ate like cows the entire time and sat on our butts a lot, but oh well--if that's the only negative outcome, I guess I'll take it:)!
1 comment:
Y'all are crazies but I love it! :) I tagged you i my blog :)
Post a Comment